READ THE LATEST WEST BANK HURRICANE PROTECTION LEVEE UPDATE
Post Date:August 28, 2017 10:20 a.m.
- The Willowridge Levee Phase 1 earthen levee project is complete.
- Willowridge Pump Station: As of this Council Meeting, the pumps have been installed. Over the last several weeks, St. Charles Parish, Engineer and the Contractor have been working on final adjustments to the Pump Systems. One of the three pump impellers has been replaced and tested. The other two pumps are being pulled today to change out the impellers with testing of these pumps scheduled for Wednesday (8/30/17). Substantial Completion is pending the final testing of the pumps for this project.
- Willowridge Phase III: Substantial completion of the project was granted on May 8th, 2017. Certificate of final completion is being processed with an effective date of
Aug 9th, 2017.
- Ellington Levee – Phase I Project: As of this Council Meeting the project is 606 days into the 730 calendar day project. The anticipated completion date is in December 2017. The Contractor has initially completed clearing and grubbing operations, inspection trench along the project length, Truck Wash-down Racks at Magnolia Ridge and Valencia Dr. entrances, timber matting over the existing gas pipe lines at the shell road off of Magnolia Ridge Road and at other two gas pipeline crossing locations, Valencia culvert and Magnolia Ridge culvert with sluice gate. Contractor has installed the new drainage canal culvert crossing at Magnolia Ridge and Valencia Dr. Contractor is continuing to perform canal excavation, and placing embankment. In Area 5, the eastern portion of the project, the +7.5’ elevation levee embankment, access roadway, drainage canal and seeding, fertilizing and mulching operations have been completed.
- The Ellington Levee – Phase 2: Project is nearing completion of final design. The Engineer has submitted 90% final plans and specifications to Public Works for review. The Ellington SFM has been completed, but the bid advertisement for the Ellington Levee - Phase 2 is awaiting completion of Ellington Levee Phase-I project.
- The 90% final design documents for the Ellington Pump Station have been submitted to the Parish for review. Received notification from DOTD Statewide Flood Control Program advices that this project will appear in the FY 2017/18 recommended construction program.
Magnolia Ridge Reach
- Magnolia Ridge Levee:Geotechnical Engineer has taken approx. 65 soil borings along the alignment of the existing levee to analyze for suitability to cap the existing levee and bring the low spots to elevation +7.5. The analysis is to verify if the existing levee meets the latest USACE levee criteria. Analysis is complete and the geotechnical report has been provided to BKI for incorporating into the final design of the Magnolia Ridge levee Project.
- Magnolia Ridge Pump Station: HMGP funding has been awarded to the project, and the project has been approved in FEMA’s project tracking system. Currently awaiting on FEMA’s official approval letter. Advertisement for bidding of this project is scheduled to begin on 9/14/17.
- Parish has acquired 21 of 30 levee servitude parcels from 27 impacted landowners. By the end of the month, a new just compensation offer will be made for the acquisition of a servitude and the relocation of an impacted mobile home. The Parish has reached an agreement with Chevron for acquisition of its four parcels which contain 34.21 acres of levee right of way. Three parcels have been recommended for expropriation and are awaiting LBLD Board and/or Parish Council approval. GCR is currently preparing a pre-litigation file for one previously authorized expropriation.