Garbage and Recycling Frequently Asked Questions

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option
PLEASE NOTE: To report any concerns or complaints with regard to residential garbage service or cart replacement or repair, call (985) 331-8604 or fill out the form located here.
Download and print an informational flier on garbage collection here.

  • What materials are accepted in the parish's public recycling bins?

    For more information on what's accepted at the parish's public recycling bins, as well as locations, see this page.

  • What are the holidays for garbage pickup?

    The only holidays for garbage pickup are Thanksgiving and Christmas. The parish will post notices regarding these holidays before they occur.

  • What is the timeline for compliance with regard to new debris rules?

    Residents will have 2 weeks from the date of initial notification of a violation by mailed letter to come into compliance with the stated ordinances. After the 2-week period, cases will be referred to the St. Charles Parish Sheriff’s Office for enforcement and St. Charles Parish District Attorney’s Office for penalties.
  • How much vegetative debris will the garbage contractor pick up?

    Piles of limbs and branches 10 cubic yards in size or LESS will be removed by the residential garbage contractor (Progressive Waste) twice per month. (Please note limitations with regard to tree diameter size as described here.) Residents should cut tree limbs down to a maximum of 6 feet in length. Individual pieces should not exceed 400 pounds. Residents should call Public Works at (985) 331-8604 to ensure pickup. Residents who need piles larger than 10 cubic yards picked up may call to hire Progressive at 1-877-747-4374, use a third party or pick up the debris themselves. (Ordinance 2013-0356)
  • How should I handle debris from tree cutting and similar activities?

    Any landowner who cuts down a tree containing any parts with a circumference of 36 inches or greater at the cut line is responsible for the removal of said tree and its limbs and branches from the property, unless the resident cuts the material into smaller pieces. In addition, landowners are responsible for removing all debris left over from any activities (tree cutting, etc.) which result in more than 10 cubic yards of vegetative debris. If a resident uses a contractor to cut down trees or remove vegetation, the resident has the obligation to inform the contractor that it is the contractor’s obligation to remove the generated debris and haul it to a proper landfill. Please note that only licensed arborists are legally able to cut down trees commercially in St. Charles Parish. For a list of these services, visit the Louisiana Department of Agriculture and Forestry website at (Ordinance 2013-0356)
  • What are the penalties for violating new garbage regulations?

    The St. Charles Parish Council recently enacted tougher penalties for violators of existing ordinances which prohibit the intentional blockage of public passageways or drainage systems with debris or other obstructions. This includes impeding the flow of traffic or water flow along public sidewalks, streets, servitudes, highways, bridges, alleys, ditches, canals or catch basins. Offenses and subsequent citations related to to any of the regulations listed in this flier could result in a penalty fine of not more than $500 and/or imprisonment for not more than 6 months, or the payment of restitution costs to Public Works as determined by the court for each offense. (Ordinances 2013-0354 and 2013-0353)
  • How should I handle debris from a building construction or renovation I am undertaking?

    Those seeking a permit to construct or renovate a building within St. Charles Parish must provide to the Planning and Zoning Department a copy of a debris removal plan to either 1) contain the resulting debris in an approved container or 2) have the debris hauled offsite daily during construction. For minor residential permits, the Planning and Zoning may accept an alternative form of debris removal. Failure to take these measures could result in a penalty fine of not more than $500 and/or imprisonment for not more than 6 months, or the payment of restitution costs to Public Works as determined by the court for each offense. (Ordinance 2013-0353)
  • What do I do with my white goods?

    White goods – also known as large appliances – are collected once per week. For pickup service, call Public Works at (985) 331-8604.
  • What waste items should never be placed curbside?

    Items that do not belong in the landfill include tires, concrete, paint, motor oil and other household hazardous waste. Local industry sponsors a recycling drop-off event for these items every spring. Be sure to check the newspaper,  SCP-TV or the parish website calendar for more information.
  • How can I request a cart replacement or repair?

    Call Public Works at (985) 331-8604. You may also fill out the online form. All garbage pickup complaints may also be sent via this method. Please note that the contractor will only replace damaged or stolen carts.

  • When is my garbage pickup day?

    • Wednesday and Saturday from I-310 through Montz.
    • Tuesday and Friday from I-310 through St. Rose.

    • Monday and Thursday – Towns of Killona, Taft, Hahnville, Luling (between River Road and Highway 90), Mozella, Paradis, Des Allemands, Bayou Gauche.

    • Tuesday and Friday – Luling (Willowdale, Davis Plantation, Willowridge, Lakewood West, Mimosa Park, Coronado Park), Boutte (south of Highway 90 to I-310) and Ama (effective March 23, 2015).
    * Carts should be placed with handles facing the street.
  • Are there limits to what I can place in my garbage cart?

    St. Charles Parish provides for semi-automated collection of containerized household garbage twice per week. The cart is provided by the vendor, Progressive Waste (formerly SDT). Each cart/container and its contents shall weigh no more than 75 pounds. Contents must be bagged. Any extra household garbage that will not fit in the cart may be bagged and placed on the ground next to the cart.
  • When does garbage collection occur?

    All collection routes begin at 5 a.m.; therefore, all carts must be placed curbside the night before collection day. Carts should be picked up by noon the day following collection.
  • Who is provided garbage service?

    Parish garbage collection is provided to residences and small businesses with active water meters that are being billed for the service on their water bills. Owners of vacant lots do not pay these fees; therefore trash placed in front of vacant lots will not be collected.
  • My street light is out. Who should I contact to have it fixed?

    Street light outages may be reported to the parish Contract Monitor's Office at (985) 764-1207. You may also choose to fill out the form located here.
  • Who should I contact for garbage pickup complaints?

    You may either fill out a form on the website or call Public Works. All pertinent information on your options can be found here.
  • Where can I bring hazardous materials such as oil, paint and old electronics for disposal?

    A Household Hazardous Materials Collection Day is scheduled each year in the spring by local industry sponsors. For more information on what you are allowed to bring to this drop-off, visit the website. The event is supported by St. Charles and St. John Parishes, local industry and the Louisiana Department of Environmental Quality. Please check the parish's website calendar for upcoming events as information becomes available.

    Best Buy and Office Depot both take electronics for recycling. Visit their Web sites to find out more information on their policies. For more information on where to bring other recyclables locally visit the HHMCD Web page.